Today is a wonderful day, we were greeted by blue skies, sun and the chirping sound of birds. I did not hear any cars or trucks rushing to go wherever it is they need to go. It is a quite day, absent of work… …you guessed it right, it is Cup’s Day in our wonderful Garden State! After all it is the race that stops the nation. It is amazing in a few different ways, one and foremost it is a day off, a day where people pause and… …bet on horses. There are many betting stations and people queue outside the door to bet. It is amazing because thousands of people go to the Races and thousands more follow it on TV. It is a day of celebrations and a day where many people dress elegantly – not necessarily a word that comes to mind in the leisurely dressed Aussieland.
While I am not one to really understand what the fuss of horse racing is all about, I certainly do appreciate the day off that I get to spend with family and friends.
As with most major events in Melbourne there is Parade in the city and this being Australia people venture outside to take advantage of the weather and the free entertainment. There is also a $6.2 million prize for that one thoroughbred that will win the race at 3pm today. Like Tennis in January, Formula 1 in March this is another event that puts our city in the center of the international sporting events. On the Flemington grounds where the race takes place there is also the Myer’s Fashion on the field.
But today is the pinnacle of the 153rd Melbourne Cup Carnival a week or so worth of activities and dress ups that will wrap up on Saturday with Stakes Day and there are many things to do around the city, which is where I am going now… …so long.
- Melbourne Cup 2013 – field draw (3news.co.nz)
- Impress Your Mates On Melbourne Cup Day With This Glossary Of Racing Terms (lifehacker.com.au)
- melbourne cup DAY FASHION (stylegallivanter.com)
- Melbourne Cup Carnival – Derby Day! (aredlipandanudeshoe.wordpress.com)
- Melbourne Cup Preview (earlythoughtsnow.com)
- Melbourne Cup Day 2013 (americangirlinaussieland.wordpress.com)
- An honest summary of the 2013 Melbourne Cup (cutfromthesaddlecloth.wordpress.com)
- Goth on Cup Day (littlebranch.com.au)